Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Mom's Morning Smoothie


Mom made incredibly delicious smoothies in the mornings when she was here visiting me. I took a pic of one & am just noticing now the sticker left on oops .. if you look very closely I'm sure you'll see it was organic. It was so delicious even with the sticker (which I didn't even notice at the time! ; ) It was too good!

I wrote her and asked for a basic recipe to make them like hers.. she changes it each day - but here's a good recipe to go by - in her words (but I coloured it ; )

My morning smoothie mixture includes the 4 flavours of sweet, sour, spicy, bitter (and can include salty also, by adding a little himalayan or celtic salt dissolved in water ... but I usually omit this as I drink a big glass of water with salt and lemon each morning)

This smoothie varies according to what is available. But here is a typical recipe:

Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries ... big handful of some of these
1/2 fresh lemon (sour) ... occasionally I use a handful of fresh or frozen cranberries instead
2 bananas ... if extra ripe, these can be the sweet taste. If not, add 3 dates or a little agave syrup.
Handful of Gogi berries
1/3 tsp fo-ti root powder (I grind this from dried fo-ti root
1 tsp. ground flax seed .... or chia seeds ... chia seeds seem to give me extra endurance
1/4 tsp cayenne powder (spicy)
I T coconut oil
1T bee pollen
2 or 3 T hemp seeds or Ruth's raw hemp powder
Mango ... 1 yellow or 1/2 bigger kind
Apple, pear, orange or peach (whatever is available) I vary the kind ... for ex. the apple may be Macintosh, Delicious, Granny Smith, Cortland etc.
Lots of greens such as chard, collards, carrot tops, romaine lettuce or other dark kinds, cress etc ... I always include some bitter such as parsley, kale or dandelion etc.
Frequently I add a few fresh mint leaves and cacao nibs ... sometimes just the cacao nibs.

ps. I put a link to her website, click Mom above - was surprised to find a post about her trip here and our visit to Chocosol. Cool!!
..almost as cool as this plate of cut-up mangoes I just got served - yay.. Lucky!!! : )
gotta love when people make you breakfast!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh my that looks and sounds amazing! I think i must get back into the smoothies for breakfast, i'm afraid i veered away for a while!!! :O(

Anonymous said...

Honey, I remember removing the fruit tag ... organic or not, those stickers aren't very tasty !

Lots of love and high vibes.

Debbie Young said...

looks so very good, some smoothies are just the best ever!
Thanks for this
deb

Robin 'Keiko' Gregory said...

Hey Deb - great to hear from you!!!
Yes, and smoothies made by the best Moms ever are some of the best smoothies ever.

LOve you Mom..

Hey Michelle - get on the morning smoothie routine!!! it's so so so good!! Hugs!