Friday, November 09, 2007

Becoming Younger - Mark's diet and recipes

I am reading some older notes I have on file and I came across a file I saved from the Becoming Younger e-group moderator Mark Jackson who posts regularly to it. Mark is very knowledgeable about nutrition and herbs, which I love reading up on.

The post I saved describes his daily diet - He eats quite differently than I do - he eats more grains and takes more supplements. But I found this quite interesting.

Mark Jackson <thesportsguru47@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hello dear friends who want to become younger,


I have often been asked what my diet consists of and what herbs
I take, so here it is....

Herbs and amino acids

L-Glutamine 1000 mgs
L-ornithine 500 mgs
L-arginine 500 mgs
L- thyrosine 500 mgs
L- lysine 250 mgs

Siberian ginseng 1275 mgs
milk thistle 800 mgs
saw palmetto 1000 mgs
phygeum 500 mgs
longjack/tongkat ali 500 mgs
tribelus terrestris 500mgs
red panax ginseng 1000 mgs
kelp heaping tablespoon
maca 2000 mgs approximately

My diet consists of alot of grains, nuts and seeds, and leafy green
vegetables and fruits. Breakfast is usually some soaked oats or other
grain, with a tablespoon of flax seeds on top. with fruit and almond

milk or some other nut milk. Lunch, when I am home usually is a
sandwich, which I make with dehydrated bread, tomatoes, avocados,
sprouts etc. When I am traveling it is generally a salad. I always
have my trail mix with me, so I eat at least a cup of seeds and nuts
daily. I always a raw food bar with me such as a lara bar or other
bar. My favorites are a raw revolution bar actually. I make a lot of
my own as well, which recipes I have posted in the file section as

well.I also always carry with me my Trail mix which consists of
walnuts, almonds, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, brazil
nuts, raisins, goji berries, dried cherries, pineapple, dates. I
snack on dried mangos and papayas throughout the day. Dinner is
usually some raw dish. I love pesto sauce over soaked grains. I use
a lot of the recipes I have in the file section, and others, which I
need to post. I will eat something sweet, and I have those posted in
the file section. During the day I almost always have a 20 ounce
glass of either Orange Juice or Grapefruit juice, and a large fresh
squeezed glass of carrot juice sometimes mixed with parsley and/or
spinach.

I forgot to add that I also take a heaping tablespoon of bee pollen daily. That is important! I also make my own raw cookies, which recipe I have posted in the files section, which I eat a lot.


I don't see a recipe for the raw cookies, but here are a few recipes from his file section:

BANANA SURPRISES

Ingredients
1/2 cup dates
1 cup nuts( walnuts, pecans)
1/2 cup raisins
Bananas


Pit dates, grind together dates, nuts, and raisin, or you can hand chop
the nuts and add them to the dates and raisins, that are already ground. A
food processor works good for this. Cut your bananas in half lengthwise, then
cut each piece into two inch pieces. Take the mixture and shape some onto the
flat part of each banana piece. IF you like you can then roll them in sesame
seeds, or ground nuts, or peanuts. They are delicious!!!
Sunflower Salsa Dip


Sunflower seeds ground up

Salsa

s&p and some lemon juice


Eddie’s Almond Yumm

3Cups  raw organic almonds soaked in water 8-12 hours
3-5 cloves of garlic
2 lemons juiced
1 cup organic tahini
1/4 cup Liquid aminos or Nama Shoyu
 
Place all ingredients in a good processor and puree until smooth.
This pate goes good with all veggies as a dip, or  on crackers.

Eggplant Parmesan
1 eggplant
olive oil
salt and pepper
tomatoes
italian spices(garlic,basil,oregano, thyme,rosemary)
 
Peel and cut eggplant into 1/2 inch wafers. Coat with Olive oil
and place in dehydrator. Now puree tomatoes and mix with spices.
Spices should preferrably be fresh. Now place a spoonful on each
eggplant circle and dehydrate until dry, about 2 days. 

Energy Bars

These are so delicious and so easy to make!! You will need
sunflower seeds, coconut, tahini(ground sesame seeds), Almond
butter, dates and Real maple syrup!!
I make these often, and all you need to do is combine the 
above ingredients in the quantities that you like. I would
suggest about a cup of each, and a half a cup of maple syrup.If
you like yours a little sweeter, you can add some honey in addition
to the maple syrup.Experiment and see what and how you like it. That
is the beauty of raw cooking. You combine the ingredients, and press
into a pan about 1 inch thick, and place in the refrigerator until
it is set, about 4 hours.I hope you enjoy

Gazpacho
Ingredients
10 to 12 tomatoes
1 dry onion
1 cucumber
1 bunch of green onions
1 jalapeno, or yellow chili
salt and pepper to taste
2 cloves of garlic
One of the things I love about cooking,
is that there are so many ways to make
something taste just a little different.
Gazpacho is a lot like salsa,and you can
vary the spices depending upon your taste
r mood. Chop all of the ingredients together
in a bowl, and salt and pepper and chill!!
Serve Cold
 
KILLER SALSA!!
 
 Ingredients
 
 8-10 medium to large organic tomatoes
 Two Jalapeno chilies
 One medium to large brown onion
 Half a red onion
 6-8 cloves of Garlic
 One bunch of cilantro
 Juice of two to three lemons or limes
 Sea Salt to taste
This Salsa is easy and quick to make, and to me tastes really good.
Quarter two tomatoes, and put in a food processor, add the chiles,
and garlic and about 1/4 of the cilantro. By doing this the
tomatoes seem to soak up more of the taste of the garlic
and cilantro, especially if it sits a couple of days.
Whip to a liquid, now pour into a large bowl and dice
the rest of the tomates. I use a food chopper,
because it makes them different sizes, and I like the
way it looks. I simply slice each tomatoe into about
four large slices, and then insert each slice into
the chopper, and WHACK it about 6 times!!!
Now dice the onions and add them. The red onion seems
to give it a little sweetness which I like, but if you
on't simply leave that out, and then cut up the cilantro
and add that. Do not add too much of the stems of the cilantro,
or you probably will not like it. Now juice the lemons and add
according to taste, I suggest adding one, and then tasting and
adding slowly until you like it. I like lots of garlic,
and acidity, so I add lots, but everybody’s tastes are different.
Now season with the salt to taste, and VOILA!!!
 

No comments: