Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Amazing Jicama Fries

The Jicama fries that came out after the filming segment were so good.. and looked so good! ..even better than the "after" fries I had made the night before.. I think mainly because I cut them so large. The fries shrink a lot and I had cut them like giant fries, so when they were done they looked like an average sized fry - in fact, they looked so remarkably like fries.. everyone was asking "What are those?" & wowing.. so we let everyone test them.. until we sold the rest of the batch in one big bowl to a table.. experimenting is fun!!

Jicama Fries

4 c Jicama - peeled
¼ c Olive oil
¼ c Sun-dried Tomato powder
1 t Onion Powder
1 t Garlic Powder
1 t Salt
½ t Chili
½ t Cumin
½ t Cayenne

Grind sun-dried tomatoes in a spice (coffee) grinder to make sun-dried tomato powder. Mix this with spices and oil. Cut peeled jicama in half or quarters and then slice the halved or quartered jicama ¼“ thick or less in a food processor with the slicer attachment or a knife. Pour spice mixture over jicama slices and toss to coat each side well. Place slices on mesh sheets and dehydrate for about 12 hours.

( We got chocolate samples!! : ) Yay!

This was my lunch today: sprout salad (tossed with a ceasar/poppyseed dressing blend) guacamole and some Fiesta crackers.. I also had lots of alfalfa sprouts, which I topped on the guacamole on the crackers.
*Eat sprouts as often as you can!!*

I have just decided within the last hour to have my recipe book done in color instead of black and white.. & am meeting with my design guy tomorrow.. (my Mom just convinced me of this on the phone, a few minutes ago) I had b&w ideas and now have to get my head around this change of plan.. and put a bunch of food pics together, at least I have lots of those, maybe enough.
The other day on the phone she asked me "Who's you favorite raw foodist of all?" and I responded quickly "You!" : ) She wasn't expecting that. one, but she is. .. and she told me I was her fav too. Lol She's great. I love my Mom.
ok, pics.. bbs

9 comments:

Lauren said...

I LOVE THOSE JICAMA FRIES!!! Now that I have a dehydrator I will have to seek one out and make them. That lunch looks so refreshing and delicious! Great pics!

CRYSTAL HUTCHENS said...

Where is the recipe!!??

Anonymous said...

I Love You too

Robin 'Keiko' Gregory said...

Hey Lauren.. LOve your happy enthusiastic comments.. & I took heart & posted the recipe for the fries for you - & you too Crystal.
Great to hear from you!!

Hey Mom - : ) ! Cheers!

Lauren said...

Thanks Robin! As soon as I get my hands on a jicama I am making these! YUM!

Kombuchachic said...

The jicama fries look amazing. Your salad does, too! :) Thanks for the recipe!

Robin 'Keiko' Gregory said...

My pleasure Lauren! Jicama is a root vegetable from Mexico, it is used a lot throughout Central America, and also in China and Southeast Asia .. it can often be found in Asian groc stores and markets. I find it here occasionally in the large supermarkets but only sometimes.. I often have to go to an Asian store for it.
Happy Jicama hunting!!

Hi Kombuchachic.. nice to meet you.. nice blog! You got me blogsurfing for a bit - Fun! Thanks for commenting (& compliments ; ) My pleasure on the recipe.
Have a spectacular evening!! Hugs.

Millie said...

Thanks for posting your french fry recipe. I made it a couple of days ago and its delicious. :D)

Anonymous said...

This is great. I have been using the Jicama for a sugar substitute. I will try this first thing today.