Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Green Juices and Nutrition in Medical Schools

Green Juices

I have decided to add more green juices into my diet. I read something Tonya Zavasta wrote in her last newsletter which has influenced me and lately I am stocking my fridge with more greens for a daily vegetable juice.

This is what she wrote:
“Traveling around the country on my lecture tours I meet many people who practice raw foods to some extent or another. Several years I began a personal experiment on the effects of juicing. I wanted to see if I could identify people who were juicing regularly based solely on their appearance. I am almost always right because juicers have a certain glow. In short, people who juice look better than people who criticize juicing. I have been juicing for 10 years, and it has served me well.”

& her favorite juice:

Juice 3 stalks of bok choy (sold in the produce section at most grocery stores and definitely at all Asian food stores), 3 stalks of celery, 3 small zucchini, 5 asparagus spears, 1 small beet root and 2 medium apples. Drink immediately.

her website is: http://www.beautifulonraw.com/

The juice I have been making has a base of a carrot, a celery stalk, some romaine or cucumber and then whatever dark leafy greensspinach, kale, dandelion, beet leaves etc I have on hand.

This is my system, ..now some people wont be able to handle this, and I am kind of amazed I can.. guess my tequila drinking days served me well in the end, lol.. but what I do is juice some dark leafy greens a bit of carrot and a garlic clove together.. pour that into a small glass.. and then juice the rest, which seems really easy to take and delicious after that first hardcore green shot. It works for me..

a couple other recipes I have found that some people use as a base for their diet:

Green Lemonade

1 head romaine or celery
dark greens (5-8 stalks) kale, chard, collards etc
1 or 2 apples
1 lemon peeled
1” ginger

Energy Detox Juice

1 carrot
2 celery stalks
½ cucumber
4-5 stalks of dark greens: kale, chard etc
15 parsley sprigs
1 broccoli stalk
some red or green cabbage
+ opt items: ginger, 1 radish, and lemon


Nutrition in medical schools.

I found these stats in David Camros and Dr. Shawn Miller’s book – You’re Never Too Old to Become Young:

Only 30 out of 125 medical schools in the U.S. have a required course in nutrition.
Philip Kapleau, To Cherish all Life, Harper and Row, San Fransisco, 1981, p.59

The average medical physician in the U.S. received less than 3 hours of training in nutrition while in med school.
John MacDougall MD – The MacDougall Plan, New Century Publishers, 1983, p.7

Dr. Michelle Harris stated at the 69th annualmeeting of the American Medical Wmen’s Association referring to nutritional training in medical school, “They had one lecture, on a Saturday morning, and it wasn’t compulsory. I don’t remember what was in the lecture because I didn’t go.”
John Robbins, Diet for a New America, Stillpoint Publishing, Wallpole, NH, 1987, p.149-150

pic from http://www.penelopesloom.com/2005/04/green_leaf/

No comments: