Thursday, February 21, 2008

Betty Crocker

It's my oldest child's birthday today - Dylan, he's 19 years old.

I really wish I had known when the kids were young what I know now.. about health and nutrition. I just finished baking and decorating his favorite traditional baked boxed cake for him.

I wish when they were growing up I gave my children what so many fortunate children are getting today - wholesome, living, raw, organic foods.. so many more parents are gaining an awareness of how to attain true health and wellness - living close to nature.

A notice just came in the mail for my daughter to get an immunization vaccination for diptheria and tetanus. I think this is the last vaccination notice I will get the last one she is required to have. Why wasn't I aware of the dangers these vaccinations could present later on in life. It seemed when they were young that it was in their best interest, for their best health. Everyone was doing it. I didn't think about it. I went with the flow. I didn't question it.


By the time I realized the difference that eating more naturally - raw and organic - could make.. my kids were teenagers. I have since apologized to them ..and explained that I feel badly for not having known the difference ..but now they are old enough and will have to decide for themselves what they choose to eat.

& no matter how much a Betty Crocker cake is filled with love - it's still harmful and full of baked white flour and processed, unknown, undecipherable ingredients.

This is the way of our world - and we keep on learning.

I love you Dylan, Happy Birthday! xo

5 comments:

Candice Davis said...

I know how you feel. My 9yo gets the benefit of this knowledge at a much younger age than my 17yo did. The good thing is we're still influencing them to some extent. They still have more of an opportunity to choose than most people. Happy Birthday to Dylan!

Anonymous said...

Are you surprised to find him 19? With my 25 and 26 year olds, I am constantly amazed to find them all grown up! :)

Happy Birthday to you both!
Connie

Robin 'Keiko' Gregory said...

Hi,& yes.. I agree that the kids have more knowledge to make better choices. This is true. They are eating much healthier, more salads etc.. and are aware of raw vs cooked.
I mentioned making a small raw cake next time..and maybe they will join me eating it. Oh, and I was experimenting and made raw blueberry pancakes last week and Nick actually tried one and liked it. That was a huge step.!!
But yes, Rediscover, good point!

& Connie..O I know!!! it's amazing. interesting phenonemon, this getting older stuff! lol.. Big Hugs.. appreciating you lots! x

Debbie Young said...

Keiko, At least you can share your knowledge and wonderful raw foods now...most people never get to do that and 19 is still very young indeed...be happy they are trying your stuff and liking it!
Deb

texmex said...

It is not obligatory to be vaccinated. You can oppose by belief that it will hurt your children.

I live in Switzerland where no immunization is obligatory and my 2 girls have never been vaccinated. Paradise hein?