Friday, January 02, 2009

More Holiday Foods

I don't have a recipe to go with this yet. The above pic is of my dehydrator filled with my version of Scramble (aka Bits & Bites), which is something I accociate with Christmas ...
I used to take care of a few kids in our neighbourhood when my kids were growing up.. and a Mom down the street would give me a tin of this mixture she made every year.. and I often think of Christmas morning and eating this & clementines.. but it was made with cereal- Shreddies, Life & pretzels, etc.. so this year I soaked nuts & seeds: Cashews, Almonds. Walnuts and Sunflower seeds.. and made a couple types of cereal-like recipes - one with soaked Oat groats, Chia seeds, Honey and Salt and the other was the Pizza crusts I have ben making lately broken up into pieces (which worked really well) ..the sauce is kind of spicy, salty, savory, ..but its not completed (but just wanted to share what I was up to..

..and below is the Pate - Turkey Stuffing Loaves I made.. I made a full cooked Christmas meal, and of course had to come up with something delicious that was raw. This is the only pic I have, pre-dehydrated, they came out a little darker..
& were great served with Cranberry Sauce <- click link for recipe -from a previous post (so good!!)
Turkey Stuffing Loaves
1 c Almonds - soaked 6-12 hours
1 c Walnuts - soaked 4-6 hours
1 c Sunflower seeds - soaked 4-6 hours
2 lg Carrots
1/2 Red Pepper - finely diced
1/4 med size Red Onion - finely diced
1 Celery stalk - finely diced
1 c Mushrooms - diced and marinated in 3 T Nama Shoyu
2 Garlic cloves
1-2 T Poultry Seasoning (to taste)
1-2 t Rosemary
1 t Thyme
1t Onion powder
2 t Salt
First prepare and marinate mushrooms and set aside.
Drain nuts and seeds. Then process these along with the carrots and garlic either in a juicer with a homogenizing blank plate or process together as finely as possible in a food processor. Transfer this mixture to a large bowl and add the resy of ingredients: the chopped up vegetables, seasonings and the mushrooms along with the Shoyu marinade. Mix everything together - hands work best to do this. Then form 2 loaves on a Teflex lined dehydrator sheet. Dehydrate for 3-4 hours to soften vegetables and let flavours meld.
Then remove, slice and serve with Cranberry Sauce. Its also great as leftovers, cold.. will keep in the fridge for at least a week.

No comments: