Thursday, April 27, 2006

The Little Prince


My friend was talking last week about matters of consequence. She described me as being a matter of consequence to another person. Maybe I was, hopefully I am. But what I am getting to is that it led me to a book - and it seems I am one of the few people on the planet who has not read it. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery. It’s a very easy to read 100ish page children’s book which is very deep because it explores the secrets of what is really important in life.. reflections on what are real matters of consequence.
- one of my favorite parts is at the beginning when he draws an elephant inside a boa constrictor and shows a grown up & he thinks it’s a hat (they usually do) he says “grownups never understand anything by themselves and it is tiresome for children always to be explaining things to them” Then he says whenever he meets any grownup who seems at all clear-sighted he shows him the picture.. but if they say it’s a hat “Then I would never talk to that person about boa constrictors, or primeval forests, or stars. I would bring myself down to his level. I would talk to him about bridge, and golf, and politics, and neckties. And the grown-up would be greatly pleased to have met such a sensible man”

Was such a good book! ..enjoyed it thoroughly, Thanx for pointing it out & lending it to me. Appreciate u lots!

pic from: http://www.korculainfo.com/art/alen/alen-botica.html

No comments: