Monday, November 30, 2009

Day 9 - Master Cleanse & Fermenting Vegetables

These are the beautiful 30 Litre Crocks from Germany that we just had shipped in for fermenting vegetables in ..and now after a busy weekend chopping and pressing and preparing vegetables they are all filled, or at lest 1/2 filled. Everyone different. Always lots of experimentation going on!!

I was a little concerned, because I have been doing this Master Cleanse and its getting towards the end and its a lot of manual labour pickling. But I should have known, and down deep I did know, that it would all work out. because the universe always orchestrates things to flow.. I am understanding by now that you just have to go with it. and just do your best. : ) ..and it was smooth., of course! Although as for me, I must tell you for the past 2 nights I have been dreaming of food. Last night there was about 10 types of raw pizza laid out and I starting trying them and eating.. and I remembered I was on my cleanse, and thought I blew it..but then I woke up. Crazy.. sometimes my dream life and real life get so intertwined.

So in about 6 weeks they will be ready, but we will get to test in 3!! : ) & see, perfect timing for the cleanse.. nothing to taste this week. I have been so disciplined this time.. not even smelling foods like I usually do.. just staying with drinking lemon juice, although I'm starting to get a bit bored.. but perfect timing, its over tomorrow. I must say I am soo looking forward to food again!


Fermented Vegetables

Fermented vegetables are made with lactic acid bacteria, which is a valuable technique humans have been using for thousands of years. This preservation method has numerous health advantages. Fermented vegetables are rich in nutrients, fiber and digestion-enhancing enzymes. They also help the intestinal tract maintain a healthy balance of flora by increasing beneficial bacteria.

Fermentation and its Health Benefits By Robert L Lawrence M.Ed., D.C., D.A.C.B.N.

The Myriad Health and Fermentation Benefits of Lactic Acid Bacteria

The ancient Greeks understood that important chemical changes took place during fermentation. Their name for this change was “alchemy.” ...preservation of vegetables and fruits by the process of lacto-fermentation has numerous advantages beyond those of simple preservation. Starches and sugars in vegetables and fruits are converted into lactic acid by the many species of lactic acid-producing bacteria. These lactobacilli are present on the surface of all living things, and are especially numerous on leaves, roots, and plants growing in or near the ground. The proliferation of lactobacilli in fermented vegetables enhances their digestibility and increases vitamin levels. These beneficial organisms also produce numerous helpful enzymes. Their main by-product, lactic acid, not only keeps vegetables and fruits in a state of perfect preservation, but also promotes the growth of healthy flora throughout the intestines. Lactic acid is a natural preservative that inhibits putrefying bacteria. Other alchemical by-products include hydrogen peroxide and small amounts of benzoic acid..

It has been said that what is old becomes new again. The ancient wisdom of lacto-fermentation has truly proven itself through time and cultures as an invaluable artisanal craft with far-reaching nutritional benefits to the health of modern man. Got culture? If not, then investigate the health benefits of fermentation and fermented foods.

No comments: